Tuesday, January 3, 2012

The Darkness of Complacency

Recently, I had just completed a task that should have been done. Back in the summer of June 2011, I wanted to change my light fixture in my basements' music room to something more contemporary. I had looked at some lighting and decided to go with a few options. When I got the lighting I wasn't quite sure about it and ultimately decided with a more traditional yet sleek model. The track lighting I had gotten for the basement didn't suit the room. I decided to put it in the kitchen. So after I got the wiring done in the kitchen (shout out to Vic Fub for the wiring) I was all set to put the track lights up. I decided to put it on the back burner.
 I had a light on the hood of the stove so I figured that I could get by. The stove light was ok but by no means did it do the kitchen justice. Weeks went by then months followed. I continued using the stove light eventually getting used to it. My family was used to it. It was cool. No big deal. Fast forward. Six months later. We had gone through summer, fall and now the dead of winter. I decide that Im going to finally put the track lighting up. I had went to the Home Depot in my area and gotten some advice. I set out to fix the problem! When I got home I looked at the light and decided "I'll do it tomorrow" which turned into the next day and then the next week.
Well...here we are January 2012. I finally decide this is going to be the day. I gathered the pieces, I located my drill, the drill bit for walls and I proceed to install the light.
I started getting upset because before I started I thought that this light was so complex and there was no way I would be able to put it up without causing severe damage to myself or others. But as I continued to put the light together I realized the light was not difficult to put together at all. As a matter of fact, it got so easy from placing the  strip lights on the track to drilling holes in the ceiling to mounting the toggle bolts in place, that I felt invincible!
Then the moment of truth came... I hit the switch and BAM! The light lit up the kitchen like the 4th of July! I was amazed! I stared in awe of what I had accomplished. You couldn't tell me anything! I was the man! Stuck my chest out prided by my work. I had conquered the ultimate mountain! I just watched it. Looked around. watched it. Looked around. Then it hit me like a ton of bricks. I had just completed a task in about 40 minutes. My smile slowly turned to anger and disgust. You see, though I had accomplished this task, I had turned a forty minute task into a procrastination project that took over six months to complete. I had gotten so used to the old drab lighting that my dysfunctional kitchen offered that I had completely lost sight of what could have been. I had squinted so much that it was normal and never once did I question the source. I just looked at it as if it was no big deal. But guess what?? It WAS!!!
As you move through your circumstance, please understand that some of the things that have happened to you are a result of the fact that you have "put them off" til a better time has presented itself. The problem is that as you wait for the opportune time, you adjust to the "darkness" and become complacent in it. There are situations that require your immediate attention yet you wait until it turns into a daunting task. My task took me six months but some people have been procrastinating for YEARS!!! Can you imagine going through your whole life in darkness when you had the power and the option to turn on the light and see the ENTIRE time? I implore you to reconsider.
Whatever your waiting on or whatever is keeping you from your destiny, find within yourself the strength to overcome your fear or laziness. Remember your best life is waiting for you. It always has been. It's sitting there ready to shine. -A. Brown

4 comments: